Military Spouses Can Receive a Grant of Up To $6,000 A Year For College

by Hank

Military spouses are now eligible to receive up to $6,000 from the U.S. government for educational expenses. In May 2009, the Department of Defense enacted the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program. This initiative pays up to $6,000 for post-secondary education (including distance learning), training, tuition, licensing and credentialing.

You are eligible to receive this benefit if you are the spouse of a military servicemember with at least one year remaining on active duty and if you are pursuing education, training, or credentialing leading to employment in a “portable career field.” Portable career fields are defined by the Department of Defense as: health services, information technology, financial services, trades, business/management, hospitality, homeland security, human resources, legal, and education.

MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) pays for expenses such as education and training programs, tuition, licensing and credentialing fees. This includes degree programs (e.g. associates, bachelors, masters, doctoral and post doctoral), continuing education classes (including those offered through professional associations), Bar, CPA and other similar exams, state certifications for teachers, medical professionals and other licensed professionals. MyCAA does not pay for computers, school application fees, graduation or membership fees, student activity cards, child care, parking, transportation, or medical services. NOTE: If the cost of a course includes books, supplies or other necessary equipment, MyCAA will cover that cost. Payments are made directly to schools using the MyCAA’s electronic payment system. Referrals are made to federally funded English As A Second Language (ESL) Classes and GED Classes and Testing Programs.

For more information, visit the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program’s MyCAA webpage.

While any money towards college is beneficial one can never save enough. A good idea is contributing money to a plan, such as this RESP, which is designed to protect your education investment.


Cornell Griffin September 12, 2009 at 2:39 pm

What if veterans, military service members, and their dependents could get the TRUTH when it comes to online education and their military benefits? As a former online admissions advisor for military students, I know that online schools instruct their advisors to not tell you certain information unless you ask. If you don’t ask the right questions or know the right questions to ask, it’s a recipe for failure. This means losing or even paying back all the money you’ve received for tuition assistance.
At, we give you 5 simple steps to follow that will give you the edge you need for successful enrollment into the Military Friendly Online School that best fits your needs. From accreditation tips, to CLEP testing, to career outlooks, to information on using your benefits, to military friendly schools…we have everything you’d want to know about online learning from the standpoint of a former online admissions advisor.

Julia January 27, 2010 at 9:31 am

If i dont pass the class do i have to pay for it or does the grant still pay?

LillyAnn September 12, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Update this-because Now if your spouse is an E6 you will not qualify for MyCAA at all so good luck in trying to find a way to pay for your tech school ie. Medical Transcription and be ready to pay out of pocket.

kate July 16, 2012 at 3:16 pm

LillyAnn I completely agree with you I got enrolled in mycaa when my husband was an E5 and now that he got promoted I can’t use any of the funds given to me.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: