How To Submit A Request To Transfer Your GI Bill Benefits To Your Children Or Spouse

by Hank

Here are the steps that you need to do (according to the DOD) to transfer your post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to your spouse or your children.

1.  Using CAC card or DFAS pin, log on to the DoD Transferability of Education Benefits (TEB) web page located at

2.  The Soldiers name and family members who are eligible for benefits under DEERS will be shown. 

3.  Soldiers must click all boxes to indicate that they have read and understand each statement on the transfer request page.  Soldiers who are eligible for MGIB, REAP, or MGIB-SR benefits are required to make an irrevocable decision to convert from one of those education benefit programs to the Post 9/11 GI Bill.  Submission of a request to transfer benefits is considered an irrevocable conversion from one of these three programs to the Post 9/11 GI Bill.  For those Soldiers who are not eligible for one of these three programs, all statements on the transfer page regarding conversion from these three programs do not apply.  However, those Soldiers must still mark those statements.

4.  To transfer benefits to an eligible dependent, click the edit button on their name line.   (If the dependent name is grayed out or the edit button does not work, it means that dependent is not eligible for DEERS benefits and thus is not eligible to receive transferred benefits.)

     a.  List the number of months of benefits to transfer to that dependent.

     b.  Select the start date you want the dependent to be able to use transferred benefits.   You can use either the calendar on the page or type in the start date.  Format for date is YYYY-MM-DD.  If you type in the date, be sure to use the dashes.  When selecting the start date, remember that the VA will not pay benefits to a dependent prior to that date.

     c.  Select the end date after which your dependent can no longer use transferred benefits.  Select this date carefully.  After this date the VA will not pay benefits to a dependent even if the dependent has months of benefits remaining.  When selecting this date consider that a spouse can use benefits up to 15 years after you leave active duty and that children can use the benefits up to their twenty-sixth birthday.

     d.  After you are filled in the number of months to transfer to the dependent and selected the start and end dates, hit the save button.  Make sure revoke is not checked unless it is your intent to revoke benefits transfer.

     e.  After the request is submitted, the TEB site will return to the original page with all your eligible dependents.  To transfer benefits to another dependent, repeat the above steps.   Remember the total months you can transfer to your dependents can be no more than 36 months or the number of months of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to which you are entitled, whichever is less. 

5.  After you have completed your request to transfer benefits, in the upper left corner of the TEB site, you will see your name, status submitted, and the date of status will be blank.  The TEB site does track the date submitted and the certifying official will see it.  You will not receive any confirmation number or any electronic message.  Confirmation that your request has been submitted is the status submitted is shown on the TEB site. 

6.  To track the status of your request, you will have to return to the TEB page and monitor the status.

7.  After the request is submitted, it will enter a queue of submitted requests.  Currently, the certification site does not allow certification officials to retrieve a specific request.  System upgrades are being made and it is expected that certification officials will be able to process specific requests by the last week of July.  In the meantime, requests are being processed as quickly as possible within current system limitations.  After a request is approved, the status of your request will change to approved and the date of status will be the date you submitted your request.

8.  Once your request is approved, your dependent has to submit a request for a certificate of eligibility to the VA.  They must submit a VA Form 22-1990e.  The VA Form 22-1990e is not on the VA’s VONAPP sight.  They expect to have the VA Form 22-1990e on the VONAPP page by 17 July 2009.  Once it is on the VONAPP site, it can be completed and submitted to the VA electronically.   The link to the VA VONAPP website is at  A hard copy of the VA Form 22-1990e is at  This form has to be mailed in and it recommends additional information be submitted with the form.  The recommended additional information is not required.  The TEB site will automatically transfer the data to the VA which is needed to process a dependent’s request for a certificate of eligibility. 

9.  After the dependent receives the VA certificate of eligibility, it must be presented to the school.  The school will have to complete a VA Form 22-1999 which will be sent to the VA.  If the school is participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program and your dependent has received Yellow Ribbon Program funds from the school, the school needs to indicate that on the VA Form 22-1999 prior to sending to the VA. 

10.  Tuition funds will be sent direct from the VA to the school.  Children using transferred benefits will receive the monthly living stipend and the books and supplies stipend.  Spouses using transferred benefits will only receive the monthly living stipend and the books and supplies stipend if they use the benefits after you separate from active duty.

{ 1 comment }

AUBREY JONES August 8, 2011 at 9:04 am

I am trying to see if my family is authorized to use my Post 9/11 Education Benefits. I retired from active duty on 31 Oct 2008, with a 30% disability. I was approved for the Post 9/11 GI Bill at 100%.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: